Summer Munchkins
Last Summer vacation in a hotel room...
The very dimmed lights shined on each one of our faces. I could barely hear the lowered volume of the TV. The telephone started to ring. RRRrrrring RRRrrrring! I’d figured that it was the Chinese food we’d ordered. I could already smell it from outside the door. There are no words to describe that familiar smell. My mom opened the door, paid the man, took the food and three soda bottles, then put it on the counter. My mom, aunt, uncle’s side of the family, and I all huddled around the food and started filling our plates and cups at once. I had Sprite.
When I served my food, my mom reminded me, “please don’t overeat.” Of course I already knew that, but of course there’s also no such thing as undereating or just eating with Che’s (My uncle’s) family so I didn’t listen to my mom, even though I said “I know.” Like always my mom and aunt finished in about twenty minutes while everyone else myself, finished in about five minutes. I guess that’s why I didn’t taste the rice much. I definitely tasted the very sweet and greasy chicken and broccoli.
At midnight we were wide awake, barely asleep, except Che’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s daughter. She fell asleep on the floor by the corner of a table. Her ears ignored the sound of the movie on the TV and the adults speaking. Eventually the conversation stopped. I don’t remember why, how, or where it was taken from, but then we started to eat chocolate Munchkins (Donut balls). My mom wasn’t happy that I was eating munchkins at midnight, but she let me have a couple. I also had a cup of milk in my hand that I used to dip in the Munchkins. After I was done with what my mom had given to me, I reached for more. Before I could get my hands on the bag, mom quickly replied, “Jei, stop. I can see you” so I immediately pulled my hand back. Delma (Che’s sister) replied; “Come on, Cecilia!” I decided not to say anything. Gen, Delma’s daughter filled my cup with munchkins when my mom wasn’t looking. The Munchkins were hidden under the milk. Everyone else saw and we started to laugh. “What?” she said in confusion. I drank the milk and started to eat the chocolate frosted, sweet Munchkins. She had realized that I was chewing the Munchkin(s). “Oh my god, Jei” Mom said and we’d started to laugh critically. The milk almost came out of my nose. We had literally laughed for over five minutes straight, and I haven’t forgotten it to this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.