Monday, June 6, 2016

Family Trip


Dayana Solis #26
E.L.A-Food Memoir
6/7/16
 
The days spent with your family are truly the best. It’s an opportunity that not everyone has. The days that can be truly be remembered even after years have passed. I grew up New York City for twelve years. I got used to the city, the buildings, cars, and culture. However, my parents are from a very different place, Puebla, Mexico. I have the culture engraved in my blood. We visit once every during the summer to visit family. But one year was one to remember. This was the year that would be the last until the next two years. So we decided to do something special. Me and my family were going to explore the city with only 24 hours to spare, before going back to the countryside. So we decided to have a small road trip with the whole family.
I woke up bright and early that morning due to the loud sounds that were coming from downstairs. I walked down the stairs, almost tripping due to my over sized hello kitty pajamas. When I reached downstairs I gasped. My whole family was there, eating breakfast and enjoying themselves. My cousins and brothers were watching television while others were making or eating breakfast. When my mother noticed me she said, “Finally you're awake! Eat breakfast and get ready, we're leaving in 30 minutes”. With that said, I ate a quick bowl of cereal and got dressed as fast as possible. By now, everyone was separated into three cars, I was with my mom, brothers, aunt, and my two younger cousins. We were on a fifteen minute car ride to our first destination, the apple orchard! When we arrived, my eyes were wide from amazement. The orchard was huge! It looked like a regular forest, but that wasn't the part that caught my eye. As I walked deeper into the orchard, I saw the most beautiful waterfall I've ever seen. Then, right next to the waterfall were all the trees that each had a large amount of ripe apples hanging from each branch. As I was getting my bag from the lady, my brother came up to me and said “Whoever gets more apples gets to watch TV first, deal?” “Deal”! I responded. I ran to the nearest tree with my babysitter at the time running after me. I pick one apple at a time to make sure each one was fresh. I got to smell the apple trees mixed with the waterfall breeze that accumulated the air. As I filled my bag to the very top, we were called to the cafeteria to eat some apple pie. They serve slices to everyone and I was ready to dig in. As I took a bite, the sweetness of the Apple and the crunch of the dough  made me smile in the delight. The apple was a sweet sensation to my tongue with a hint of sour. The bread was a nice crunch that wasn't too sweet that it overpowered the apple. I took my last bite and was ready for our final destination, Cholula, Puebla.
As I was entering the car, I had a goofy grin on my face. Cholula was a very iconic place with over 364 churches for every day of the year. Not only that, many types of historical structures and artifacts are there as well. I looked out the car window, seeing people roam the state of Puebla with a smile on their faces as they buy food from stalls. I can't help but smile slightly as I tell myself how proud I am of my culture.
We stepped  out of the car at the entrance. A simple box office payed there where we later payed and got our tickets. This is where the fun starts I thought with a grin. We first entered an underground tunnel that would lead us to the churches. I grabbed my brothers hands as we walked further down the tunnel, which we later were told was an ancient prison, my brother and I ran to the exit as my eyes were wide from amazement. We continued our journey until dark. We visited all types of places, from museums, pyramids, and churches to the most memorable part, the food!
It was around 9:30 PM and we were roaming the streets of Puebla, looking for a place to eat. As we passed a large restaurant, the sudden aroma of bread and cheese filled the air. We came to a stop and saw the sign, we were eating pizza tonight. We entered the restaurant and sat down. The funniest part that reminded  me of this moment was when, everyone was arguing about what to get while me, my brothers, and aunt ordered three large pies of cheese, pepperoni and hawiian pizzas. When the rest found out, they actually agreed and calmed down. When the pizza came I remember how delicious it was. I remember taking my first bite of the cheese slice. How the cheese had the perfect amount of salt and how it melted when eaten. The sauce was the perfect amount, not to little or not too much. And lastly was the dough, it had the perfect crunch with garlic and spice that gave the pizza a wonderful taste. And with that taste was how we finished our family road trip with. 


 Apple Pie:

  • 1 In medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
  • 2 Gather pastry into a ball. Divide in half; shape into 2 flattened rounds on lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.
  • 3 Heat oven to 425°F. With floured rolling pin, roll one pastry round into round 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
  • 4 In large bowl, mix sugar, 1/4 cup flour, the cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir in apples until well mixed. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over filling. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate.
  • 5 Roll other round of pastry into 10-inch round. Fold into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape. Unfold top pastry over filling; trim overhanging edge 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute as desired. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.
  • 6 Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust, removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Serve warm if desired.  
 Pizza:

  • Dough:.
  • In a glass or plastic bowl, combine yeast, water, and sugar (the water can just be water from the tap, make sure it's below 100°F).
  • Stir to dissolve the yeast and let the yeast "bloom" for 15 minutes.
  • Stir in 1 cup flour, add salt, and then stir in another cup of flour (the remaining cup of flour will be your "bench" flour and added flour).
  • Dump mixture onto kneading board and work in last cup of flour, kneading until dough is soft and elastic, but not sticky. Form dough into a ball.
  • In another bowl, pour in the 1 tbsp olive oil and spread around.
  • Coat ball of dough with oil and cover bowl with a damp towel and let dough rise for 40 minutes.
  • Punch down dough and knead on board about 2 minutes. Dough is now ready to spread in the pan.
  • To avoid sticking of crust, lightly spray pizza pan with olive oil or vegetable oil spray and then work dough to pan (or use free form pan) - this dough is enough for 1 14-in pizza with a thin bottom crust and enough dough around the edge to munch.
  • Sauce:.
  • Combine pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, minced garlic, and basil.
  • Spread onto prepared pizza dough.
  • Top with sliced mozzarella cheese and bake at 500°F for 11-13 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.