Amalia Dayle
I woke up at 7:00 AM determined to have an amazing Christmas Eve. I was sitting on the sofa the cold air brushed on me. I stopped and thought. What is something I can do to make this day special ? People have countless traditions, things people do that are really significant to them and their families. Suddenly, a burst of inspiration came to me.My brain filled with excitment. “Come Davida !” I shouted to the other room so my sister was able to hear me. She turned off the movie she was watching on her ipad and came to see what was going on. I quickly explained my plan to her. “Amalia, making sugar cookies is an amazing idea!”
Together we paraded into the kitchen. It’s a small part of my living room with a stove, an oven, a fridge, cupboards, and a sink. “But wait, how are we going to find the recipe?” I thought. “Davida grab your ipad” I say. She went in the bedroom and got her Ipad. She came back with her Ipad in her hands. Quickly I took it and searched up “sugar cookie recipe”. We searched and searched until we found the perfect recipe. “ Chewy Christmas Cookies,” the website stated. “Ok,Davida get the ingredients” We both opened the fridge and got the flour,sugar,baking soda,butter eggs and vanilla. Then we brought out our tools,measuring cup, measuring spoon, two big bowls and a whisk.
We measured all the of the ingredients and put them in separate containers so we could easily distinguish them. My sister turned up the oven to preheat it to 350°. I could tell she was extremely happy and excited because of the huge smile on her face. I went to get a bowl from the pantry and mixed the flour, baking soda, and salt. Then my sister took another bowl and began creaming the sugar and butter. Her hands were grabbed the whisk and spun the batter. She took the eggs cracked the shell,“crack crack” and the gooey egg spilled out.She added brown vanilla extract, which gave the batter a brownish color. We then blended both mixtures and mixed it thoroughly. Then we put the dough in another bowl and put saran wrap on top of it. I waited for an hour to let the dough chill. In the meantime we sat on our couch and watched YouTube on my sister’s Ipad.
An hour later, “Davida,get the roller and the cookie cutters.” I said. She took the roller and with all her force rolled the dough to flatten it. Sweat poured down her face like water from a water spout. She then went to the bathroom to wash it off. Then, I took an ungreased cookie sheet and placed it on the counter. “Come on, it's time!” she told me. This was the moment we were waiting for. The most fun part. We took our cookie cutters and gently pressed them into the flattened dough. First the Christmas tree, then the star… The shapes looked beautiful and would surely stand out. We continued until our dough was done. As team, we placed the cookies on the cookie sheet each two inches apart from another. Then we carefully opened the oven. The hot brushed air my face. It felt as if the sun was blowing on my face. I then put in the cookie sheet. While they were baking, we sat down and envisioned how amazing our cookies would turn out. We wafted at the sweet scent of baking cookies. I tapped my fingers on the table waited for time to come. The smell made me feel like I was in paradise.After patiently waiting for 10 minutes it was time to see if they were cooked. My sister took a toothpick and gently poked at the the cookie. It was solid. No batter went on the toothpick which meant it was cooked.
We put on our oven gloves and took the cookie sheet out of the oven and set them on the plate. We repeated everything for the leftover batter until all the cookies were made. Finally, I looked at all of the cookies. They were missing something, I thought. I went to see what I had in the pantry and found some colorful sugar. I sprinkled a little sugar on each of the cookies. Perfect, they looked amazing. I grabbed the first cookie, excited to taste it. As I look a bite my teeth sunk into the cookie. The cookie was moist and had the most delicious taste. That night we all sat at the dinner table and after eating, my sister and I pulled out our special treat.
“Tada!” We said in unison.
“Amalia, Davida! They are amazing,” my mom said.
My dad grabbed a cookie. “And they taste fabulous!” he said.
“Merry Christmas Eve!” we said. That feeling made me always treasure that Christmas Eve because it reminded me of the most delicious cookies I ever made.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar for decoration
- a whisk
- two big bowls
- saran wrap
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt (together); set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine and 2 cups sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs in one at a time, when done add the vanilla. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Cover and let the dough chill for an hour
- Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned at the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool them completely.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.