Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Don't Be So Crabby

Kelly Holmes #13                                                                                                                     6.2
ELA- Food Memoir
5/27/16

   My mom loves crabs;blue,red, all types of crabs. She especially loves to eat live crabs.
   “KELLY,” my mom shouted from the car.
   I ran to the car with my Big Nate book in my hands. As the car started to move, I began to read my amazing book. I stared at the book, but didn’t really read it. It’s like in class, when you’re daydreaming, you're there listening to the teacher but you’re thinking about something else. All I thought about was the live crabs we were going to get. I had never had live crabs before, so I was so excited.
   The car engine started to slow down. I hopped out the car so happy about cooking live crabs. We walked into the big painted blue crab shop.  After the workers bagged up the crabs, we headed back to the car. As, we drove back home to cook the crabs, my palms started to sweat. My previous excitement turned into to nervousness and fear. Just looking at the bag, watching the crabs try to crawl their way to freedom was very creepy. Of course my childish mind started to wonder, what if they got out of the bag and crawled all over me or tried to bite my head off. I was terrified like when you walk into a haunted house. So  when we arrived at the apartment, I was relieved.
    After waiting twenty minutes, my mom finally started to cook the crabs. Us kids stood twenty feet away from our mom while she pulled each live crab out of the sink and into the pot. I focused so much on the sink I couldn’t hear or see anything else. As she pulled the first crab out of the sink, we gasped. The crab continuously moved its legs and arms. Still scared, but also curious, we slowly walked towards the pot with a crab that was still crawling around.
       “What is it doing?,” my energetic brother Kevin, asked my mom.
      “It’s trying to climb out of the pot”, she responded. “It doesn't want to be cooked”
  At that point, we were all calm. I wasn’t scared or frightened by these hypered crabs. But that feeling didn’t last for long. As my mom grabbed the third crab she swung it in the direction of my siblings and I.
     “AHHHH!!!,” we screamed as we ran away from her.
  She chased us around the house, dangling the crab while it was still moving. We ran around the kitchen, the living room, the bedrooms, and eventually we arrived at the bathroom. Making sure she doesn’t catch us we closed the door. Our hearts were beating so fast and our hands were shaking like we were about to perform in front of a million people.
   “Do you think she is still out there?” I whispered to my brother and my positive sister Kim, trying not to be too loud that she might hear me.
   “I don't know ,” she whispered back.
  After another five minutes has gone by, we decided to open the door. We opened the door, expecting our mom be dangling the crab, but that’s not exactly what happened. We looked around for our mother only to find the crab on the ground, crawling into the bathroom.
   “AHHH!!,” we screamed, running out of the bathroom and into the kitchen only to find our mom laughing, cooking the rest of the crabs.
 She eventually picked up the crab and everything started to become calm. My siblings and I went to the sink to see all of the crabs that were about to be put in the pot. My brother grabbed the sprayer and started to spray all the crabs. Our childish minds also believed that this might kill the crabs. But it didn’t, it made them angry. As we laughed at the crabs trying to run away from the water, one crab jumped up.
      “AHH!!,” my brother yelled running for his life.
  The vicious crab was hanging off of his thumb. He ran and ran, trying to shake the crab off of his finger. He ran all the way to his bed when the crab finally fell off of his finger crawling away. My mom grabbed the crab and put it back in the sink while my brother was breathing so deep like he just ran 300 miles.
    “Are you okay?,” my sister asked my brother, laughing so much tears were coming out of her eyes.
    “Yea,” he responded barely being able to speak.
   We all laughed about this later, while eating the delicious crabs. The crabs were very frightening but tasted so delicious that it made my mouth water. We talked, laughed, and watched some good television.
    “We are definitely doing this again,” I said after all the crabs were eaten.
    “We are definitely NOT doing this again,” my brother said, making everyone laugh.
   “Best Day Ever,” my sister said.
   “Agreed,” I responded.
   “Besides having to run for my life and almost getting the blood sucked out of me by a crab, best day ever,” he said laughing.   
   

    

1 comment:

  1. I thought this story was so funny and it was awesome. I can see how you guys ran for your life from the crab.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.